Wednesday 19 February 2014

WIP Wednesday



So... inspired by Tami, here are my current works in progress.

I like to have a large project and a couple of smaller projects on the go at the same time - sometimes it's nice to have something you can see the end of rather than a seemingly endless project such as a blanket.

My current quick gratification project is a gingham inspired cushion, with the front worked in 4-round solid granny squares and the back worked in simple stripes of treble stitches. It's made in my favourite so-good-for-a-low-price yarn - Stylecraft DK. I'll happily splash out for more expensive yarns for some projects, but considering my cushions suffer a fair amount of wear and tear, I want something that will wash fairly easily and isn't going to make me cry if I need to replace it.

My large on-the-go project is a ripple blanket, working from the neat ripple pattern by Lucy at Attic 24. It's a lovely pattern, easy to pick up once you get past the small amount of math at the beginning. It's a nice repetitive pattern to loose yourself in while sitting in front of the TV.


There are a couple of colour progressions not shown here - the light has been awful the past week or two (too much grey, rainy weather), meaning I've not had chance to get an updated photo. 

I've not planned the colours in advance on this project, meaning that there's been a couple of stalls in my progress as I've not been completely sure of a colour choice. When that happens I generally put a stitch marker in at the end of the row and leave the blanket where I can see it for a few days... at the end of that time I've generally decided that I like it, in which case I finish off the row, or I hate it, in which case it's easy to frog it!

I think I'm about halfway through the main portion of the blanket - I'm aiming for it to fit a single bed, that way it's also a good size to drape over the bottom of a double bed or for snuggling under on the sofa. When I'm a little further through I'll start brainstorming edging ideas.

I've other, smaller things on the planning list for when the gingham cushion is finished (this week, hopefully) and another blanket in the planning stages for a Christmas present - considering how slowly I work, I'll need to start soon to be finished in time for this Christmas!! 

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely STUNNING. I can't wait to see both of these finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - Lucy's pattern is one of my favourites - easy to follow and great results

      Delete
  3. Oh such a lovely blanket and I love the brown grannies too. It will be interesting to see the results when they're finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm hoping to get the cushion finished this weekend, and I'll not be able to resists posting pictures when it is

      Delete
  4. I love the colours of your cushion they are gorgeous, the blanket is amazing too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - pink isn't usually one of my favourite colours, but the dusty rose pink was one I liked as soon as I saw it

      Delete